Fluids in Huntersville, NC
Every vehicle needs several automotive fluids in order to run properly. Some of the most important fluids include engine oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, antifreeze and power steering fluid. If you notice your car leaking fluids, here are a few ways to identify what those leaks may be:
- Radiator Fluid is bright green and very slippery.
- Antifreeze, or coolant, can be pink or green and is hazardous to your pets. Ingesting this fluid poses a serious health threat to animals.
- Brake Fluid is a light yellow and can change to a foggy brown color when mixed with water. You should have this fluid changed every other year to ensure brake safety.
- Power Steering Fluid is has a yellow tint.
- Automatic Transmission fluid has a deep red hue. It has a sharp odor and is thick in texture.
- Windshield Washer Fluid can be any range of colors from bright blue, orange, pink or yellow. It has the consistency of water and may smell somewhat sweet.
- Motor Oil can be bright or dark brown depending on how often you change it. Frequently changed motor oil will be light brown, while old motor oil will be a darker shade. You should have your motor oil changed every 3000-5000 miles.
- Gasoline has an amber hue, but you may recognize its very distinct odor. It is highly flammable, so steer clear of any open flames (lighters, matches, cigarettes, etc.)
Bring your vehicle in to make sure your car’s fluids are:
- Filled to the proper level
- Clean and clear
- Free of leaks
- Flushed and replaced as needed